Message from the Chair of the Governing Board
On behalf of the governing board of West Melton Primary School I would like to welcome you to the Governance section of the website.
You may be wondering what exactly a governing board does:
- First of all, all members of the governing board are volunteers; none of us get paid for undertaking this role.
- Secondly, our main role is to work with the head teacher and other members of the senior leadership team to ensure that all pupils receive the best education possible.
We do this by fulfilling 3 core functions:
- Setting the vision, ethos and strategic direction of the school
- Holding the head teacher to account for the educational performance of pupils in the school and the performance management of staff, and
- Ensuring that the school budget is effectively managed and well spent
The governing board doesn’t get involved with day-to-day decision making; that is rightly the role of the head teacher, but we do meet regularly throughout the year to ensure that the school has the right policies and priorities for development in place and that these are having a positive impact on the education of your children. If not, we ask questions why, and try to find solutions to any obstacles or barriers that might exist.
These are challenging roles, but each governor brings a range of different knowledge, skills and experiences to help us to fulfil these roles effectively. Details of the current board members are outlined below.
As a parent of two now grown up children, I really believe that the governing board can make a difference to the lives of children and young people within the school. We are always looking for new members who can volunteer some of their time to fulfil this important role, so if you are interested and want to know more about the role please contact me via the school.
I can assure you that we will be doing our best to ensure that your children achieve the best that they are capable of in a happy and supportive environment.
Chair of the Governing Board
Chair of Governors Mr Paul Carney
Headteacher Mrs Zowie Norris
Joint Vice-Chair Mr. Rajmund Brent
Joint Vice-Chair Dr. Andrew Mellor
Co-opted Governor Mr Andrew Calton
Parent Governor Ms Nicola Machen
Parent Governor Mr Andrew Millard
Staff Governor Mrs Helen Wydell
Clerk to Governors