Art & Design
West Melton Primary understands that art, design and D&T allow pupils to solve problems, think creatively and develop ideas. These subjects offer pupils a chance to use creative thinking and activity within a defined purpose and tangible outcome. Our school is committed to nurturing pupils’ curiosity and creativity, as well as preparing them for living in a modern world where technology is rapidly changing and advancing.
By teaching art, design and D&T, we aim to help pupils:
- Develop their design and making skills.
- Develop their knowledge and understanding of design and technologies.
- Use a wide range of tools and materials.
- Learn about working safely and using protective measures.
- Work individually and collaborate with other pupils in a variety of contexts.
- Develop the capability to create products of a high standard through skills and understanding.
- Evaluate products, made by themselves, their peer groups and external companies.
- Explore the man-made world and encourage discussion of how we live and work within it.
- Develop an interest in and an understanding of technological processes and the role of manufacturing in society.
- Become creative thinkers and learners, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- Learn how to draw, paint, sculpture and create art.
- Evaluate their work and the work of their peers, as well as other artists.
- Learn the principles of nutrition, healthy eating and how to cook.